Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, July 17, 2011

#GBE2: Midnight

Cinderella - You Wimp!
This week's blogging group challenge is "Midnight." What is it about this special time being the bewitching hour and all kinds of creepy stuff happening when the clock strikes twelve? For example, take Cinderella.

Her Fairy Godmother said, "Be home by midnight or your carriage will turn into a pumpkin and you'll be back to wearing rags." Talk about tough love! Really, lady? First off, why a pumpkin? That frail chick couldn't even carry her round ride home without pulling out her wimpy spine. If she tried to roll it, the thing would probably hit a rock and get her arrested for smashing gourds in the street. At least turn it into a cell phone so she could call for a ride. But oh wait, she's a prisoner of her evil step mother and has no one to call. Such a pathetic role model for our young girls.

Elizabeth - My heroine!
Cinderella wears rags, but I'm not one to judge folks by their clothing. Look at Elizabeth the Paper Bag Princess. The dragon came to town, burned her duds, and kidnapped her stuck-up Prince Ronald (no relation to the clown), so she took off to save him with only a paper bag to grant her modesty.

Now, think about this. Would you go to a fire breathing dragon with just a paper bag on? Let's hope he's not a horny devil. Anyway, this tough chick outsmarted the dragon and rescued the prince who wanted her to comb her hair and shower. She didn't need a Fairy Godmother to tell her to dump the creep. She told him to take a hike all by her little self.

 But I digress : Midnight



I remember this great song by Eric Clapton, "After Midnight." He had that one right. In those days the party didn't even get started until after midnight. Now if only I could stay up that late. . . but that's another post. Thanks, Beth! This one was fun.

If you like my blog, please vote for me on the Picket Fence because I'm kinda in a rut right now. My fence post spot is 69 and if you look to the left, you'll see the title of my most popular post. Not good for a respectable blog like this one! Thanks. :)

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! As for Elizabeth the Paper Bag Princess, great choice--I love Robert Munsch! My favorite kids' book ever is his Love you Forever, which I add to every single new baby gift I buy. :O)

Catch My Words said...

Thanks, Beth! I love that one too, but it makes me worry that my mother-in-law might be sneaking into our house at night to watch my husband sleep. Kinda creepy when it gets to the old age part.

Claudia Moser said...

Great approach Joyce!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

LOL! I'll have to look for an Elizabeth the Paper Bag Princess the next time I go to B & N. It sounds cute.

Catch My Words said...

Thanks for the comments. "The Paper Bag Princess" by Robert Munsch is a book every little girl needs to read.

shelly said...

TFF...

Jenni said...

great post ! I enjoyed reading it

Jenn said...

I almost went with Clapton for my video for my blog too. I was torn. There was also the Joe Satriani Midnight, but then I thought I'd go with Joe Cocker. Can't go wrong there :)

I love your spin on midnight!! I need to find a copy of Elizabeth the Paper Bag Princess...sounds like a great read.

Cheers, Jenn

Catch My Words said...

@Jenn Loved your Cocker clip.

Thanks for all the comments. Is it just me or does anyone else have no clue what "TFF..." means? I'm sure it's something obvious that I'm just not getting.

Catch My Words said...

Ohhh. Too F***ing Funny! Got it. Thanks, Shelly.

The Host said...

Love it! I'll remind my daughter to ignore Cinderella with abandon! :) Thanks for following, I'm happy to return the sentiment.

Julia

Jennifer Wilck said...

Hilarious! Love it!

Unknown said...

Great blog about midnight! Well done!

Kathy
http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

Arlee Bird said...

It's rare that I see midnight anymore unless I happen to wake up then to go to the bathroom.

I went to that Picket Fence site but I couldn't figure out how it worked. I get so confused about stuff sometimes.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Binky said...

Midnight used to come a lot earlier than it does now.

Anonymous said...

I hear you about staying up past midnight. I choose my 8 hours instead...nice take on "Midnight!"

Rico Swaff said...

Haha, after I read "Prince Ronald," I immediately thought Ronald Mcdonald...then you clarified.

I'm gonna have that "After Midnight" song in my head for life now. :)

Shah Wharton said...

Hi - You linked up at my mental health linky Monday. However, your blog and post do not seem to have anything to do with mental health - Or am I missing something ;D Please comment at my blog in reply. http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/2011/07/monday-madness-linky-addiction-10-new.html

Many thanks. Shah.

SJerZGirl said...

I never heard of the Paper Bag Princess, but I like what I see. She defends the defenseless and unloads the unnecessary - Good woman!!

Paula Martin said...

Love your take on Cinderella!

JULIE HOYLE said...

Joyce, thank you! As always, a lively and fun post. Just what I needed!

Catch My Words said...

Thanks for all the great comments. Y'all rock!

Anonymous said...

Very cool post. Love this song.

Brenda Stevens said...

loved this!!!!! LOL AND i am like ?? wth? Paper Bag Princess.?? never read that one.

Got me thinking..many people i know DID turn into pumpkins after they married....humm there is something to that after midnight thang... : )
adore you Joyce

Catch My Words said...

Thanks, all. The "Paper Bag Princess" by Robert Munsch is one of the best picture books ever written! How are our girls supposed to grow up strong with wimpy role models like Cinderella? In the Paper Bag Princess, one meets a true heroine that has a mind of her own and saves herself rather than waiting for a fairy godmother to do everything for her. Plus, she won't stand for abuse from her prince or anyone else. Yay, Elizabeth!

Langley Cornwell said...

Hilarious post, fun take on the theme. And I'm still laughing about your most popular post. Not good for a respectable blog! Hahaha.

Eccentricity said...

That bit about the party not getting started until after midnight reminds me of going clubbing in San Francisco so many years ago. You didn't see a proper crowd until at least 11pm and I think last call was 2:45. Good times. :-)

Mojo Writin said...

Brilliant! I've always thought those fairytales need an overhaul for today's market. Maybe you're the girl to do it! *hugs*